age is nothing but a number


the 30 minute ride on my bicycle to and from work is the best part of my day. the scenery is mostly farmland and rice fields laid in perfectly aligned rows.  the new blanket of green since planting time has made me feel like my black and white world has been painted in brilliant color...

my companions on the old farm road are other cyclists that are nearly triple my age. at times, i feel exhausted by the ride but i’m filled with a new energy when i see farmers the age of my grandparents in the fields on their hands and knees planting, weeding, pulling... working harder than i ever have in my life. they use no machinery. they have no strong young grandkids to help them (they’re probably in town at their after school academy and have no time to help on the family farm). i say hello to everyone as a ride by and i’m always greeted with a huge smile and a look of surprise. i’m probably the only foreigner they’ll ever see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

related posts